Wednesday, July 7, 2010

A Little About How I Look at Television

I've been watching T.V. for as long as I can remember. Longer, in fact. I used to watch it in my playpen according to my mom. I prefer episodic television to other media. To see characters grow and events unfold over entire years is something that just fascinates me.

I do think about what I watch, but I'm not hyper critical. When something is bad, it is bad for plot reasons. I'm willing to overlook production errors. Those are bound to come up during the weekly grind of a show, so unless it's glaring I usually won't even notice it or will ignore it if I do notice it. But there is no excuse for bad plotting and complete disregard for previous continuity (unless, of course, disregard for previous continuity is a staple of your show, like with The Simpsons, Family Guy, or Red Dwarf.)

It actually amazes me how many people will let trivial concerns ruin otherwise serviceable shows. My most recent experience is with people saying Stargate Universe sucks purely because of the shaky cam. You have every right not to like that style of camera work, but to disregard a well written episode of a show because of how it is shot is something I don't get. If bad camera work really destroys a show, no one will ever watch mine.

Well that's pretty much it. I just wanted to give you a little glimpse into how I think.

Oh, and one last thing. I am aware of the grammar problems in my closing credits template, and rest assured they will be corrected by my next episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment